12 August 2011

American White Pelicans and The Elk at Cabell Marsh

The American White Pelicans have been making Cabell Marsh at Finley Wildlife Refuge interesting for the past six weeks. Great views of them flying and hanging out:


In late July, I walked onto the dam side of Cabell Marsh and was treated to an amazing view of the pelicans, a Bald Eagle, an Osprey, a Racoon, a couple of Nutria, and - most surprising of all - a female Elk.

I posted an email to the local bird list asking why an Elk was acting like a Great Blue Heron! Over the next few days, the elk stayed around the shallow end of Cabell Marsh.

Sadly, she died there.


This week, I talked to a Finley ranger who told me that they would be leaving the body there as part of the natural cycle of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment